Saturday, September 4, 2010

Went to Boom Bar which is one of the three that we frequent (Boom bar, Kooma and Wa bar). They are a bunch of crazy bartenders there named Pooh, Tigger and Wally. Well I thought Wally wasn't there last night until I found out he was the huge asian bobblehead costume that kept coming over to me and writing messages to me in Spanish. I still don't know why he was wearing that. He is very cute. He speaks a little English and I guess a little Spanish apparently. He has a tattoo in Spanish on his arm "Lo mas acordado, lo mas olvidado" : "The most remembered, the most forgotten". After an hour of guessing games about who this mystery costumed man was, he flashed me the tattoo on his arm and it all became clear. It was entertaining. By the end of the night, one of the boys we work with must have told Pooh that it was my birthday yesterday. All of a sudden I heard him shouting my name over the intercom and starting a fire show. A fire show is basically the bartenders tossing bottles around and lighting them on fire, making fire shots and such for people in the bar to drink. I drank the fire shot. Then suddenly the bartenders were throwing some weird foam on me (like silly string almost) and sparklers were being passed around. To top it off, the cutest bartender girl came over to me, with part of a horse cotume (only the head) and gave me a birthday cake they'd thrown together last minute in the kitchen. It was so sweet. I can't express how much I appreciated it. Koreans are the nicest people.

This afternoon, I went with two girls Tessa and Jenny to what's called a jjimjilbang: a public bathhouse. The men and women split up and go into seperate locker rooms, get butt naked, shower and enjoy the bathhouse. So, I acted accordingly. First, everyone must go through a full cleaning: brushing teeth, washing hair, shaving, you name it.... just the works. When all clean there are maybe 6 different baths to enjoy. There is a hot tub basically, a freezing cool pool, a lukewarm pool with jets and a few more. There is also a sauna. The women ranged from babies to old women. It was quite an experience. Though very refreshing, it's not something I'd get in the habit of doing too often. It is a bit time consuming and I do have my own shower. After a stressful week though, I can see where it would come in handy.

1 comment:

  1. suena como que te la estas pasando de lujo! I would probably not do the freezing cool pool..

    ReplyDelete