Sunday, September 26, 2010

I've been in Korea for a month and that means it's time to learn some serious Korean. I've been picking up quite a lot of words here and there... in the taxi, at the bar, in school, all over this beautiful country, but I want to really put some effort into it. I went with my coworker, Jenny, to an English/Korean language exchange and had a great time meeting a lot of different people. Afterwards, we went out and bought textbooks so that we could have somewhere to start and show our progress. Right now I'm drilling the alphabet into my head.

Hannah and Stephen visited me from Changwon a few days ago. It was great seeing some familiar faces. I took the bus downtown (which I've never done before so I felt quite accomplished) and picked them up. We ate KFC, then literally bumped into my friend Ben (a teacher at another school that lives nearby) and we all went to the art museum and a few shops, and finished with an exquisite Itallian meal.

The next night we (all my coworkers, Ben, Hannah and Stephen) went and drank all night on my roof. We had soju, which is like watered-down vodka that costs a buck. I love it on the roof! It changed everything for me. I knew I had a roof that I could go and be all chill, reading my book and drinking my coffee, but I hadn't explored it until now. It's nothing glamorous.. a few ugly, weather-worn chairs, a table and a broken couch, but I love it. I spent most of the day Saturday reading and writing up there because it was such a beautiful day and because I'm obviously a hipster.. you know.. reading, writing, drinkin coffee... I just need to start smoking ciggarettes and I'll be totally angsty writer type. This morning I had breakfast with Julie, Tessa and Heather up there too. It's definitely my spot. I cannot wait until fall. It will be perfect... cold enough to wear a sweatshirt, wrapped in a blanket, reading, but with the warm sun beating down, keeping me from getting too cold.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, it really sounds like you are having the time of your life there. I'm so excited for you! And am now seriously considering doing it next year. It must be such a cool and different experience, and I've always thought asian kids were adorable and so funny haha. Keep having awesome adventures!!

    ReplyDelete