Sunday, October 3, 2010

The trainer at the gym will frequently ask me "Did you eat?" or "How was your meal?" when I stroll in around 6 or 7. I thought it was weird Korean gym protocol... making sure we are working out with food in our bellies. Well, while reading up on my Korean studies, I came across this: "At lunchtime, dinnertime or immediately afterward, Koreans often greet someone they know by asking shik.sa ha.shoss.o. yo (Did you have a meal?). So ingrained is this habit that many Koreans will ask non-Koreans the same question in English. A simple ne (yes) is all that's expected - if you go into detail about what you had for your meal, you may be met with bewildered looks." No kidding! I keep answering him with "Oh yeah I ate at 4:30 at school. I had... (whatever it was that day)." I taught him what I assume to be a good English equivalent: good afternoon or good evening. And I explained what I'd learned from my recent discovery and why I've been answering him the way I have. Even though it's hard to communicate with each other, we had a little laugh about it and now both understand the slight misunderstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment