Thursday, October 21, 2010

Last night I went to get dinner with Rex. We ate food that I haven't had here before which is nice because the food selection is becoming a little monotonous. Really... there isn't much variety compared to the USA where we have every type of food. So anyways I had what's called jajangmyeon, which is noodles with a Chinese-like soy sauce and lots of onions. I love onions.  He asked the server to bring me a fork, which is pretty funny to me. My friend Sohee did the same thing when I visited her in Seoul. I used chopsticks though. He was surprized. My students are also very impressed when I eat with chopsticks, eventhough they've watched me do it for 2 months now. Their newest kick is hearing me hum Korean songs or say a few Korean sentences or words. We have a strict NO KOREAN policy so I stray away from using Korean, but every now and then during lunchtime (never classtime) I'll throw a little "hanna, tul, set, net, tasot, yasot, ilgop, yador, ahop, yol" their way and they burst into a fit of giggles. It's just numbers one through ten, but if I say it fast, they like that. I'm learning a lot more than just the numbers, but I don't want to rile them up too much.

At school we have this dreadful thing called open class, where the parents literally sit in my class and observe me teaching their kids. It's pretty intimidating and miserable. I thought I did a really great job, but I guess not. One little boy, Eric, isn't much of a participater and his mom flipped on him and left the classroom when he didn't answer my questions. I didn't think much of it. Yeah, it was freaking embarrassing and weird and the other moms were shocked too, but what could I do? Anyways, it turned into a bigger thing I suppose, and now our head Korean teacher is sitting in during my class. It makes me very uncomfortable that she is there. I also think it is unfair and rude that they are stepping in during my class, but the parents are so demanding at our school, that I guess my bosses are taking any and all measures to satisfy the parents. I really hate it. Sometimes the disadvantage of this job for everyone is that we feel like we can never do anything right, no matter how hard we try. We really don't get anything but negative feedback so it's hard to feel optimistic about the hard work we put in.

I'm complaining for just this moment, but really, I'm happy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment