Saturday, December 4, 2010

I didn't get a pat on the back, but open class went well, with one exception, the new little girl, Gabe. She has only been at the school for month and she is behind. Her mother is just extremely worried about her and a few of the other parents don't appreciate her addition to the class. It's all about success and competition here and she's behind the curve. But it's over, and I haven't been fired. I can't complain.

Last night, I was more than ready to get out. My new friend, Juhee invited me to get dinner before we went to the bar. We got something called jjoda I believe. It was basically just spicy chicken and vegetables. Very mashiso (delicious). Juhee and I get along very well. She's six years older than me, but she's still single and acts very flirty and young. She's very beautiful, but always tells me how Korean men don't find her attractive because she's not stick-thin. She's in no way big. She's about 5'1 and in perfect shape, with a few perfectly proportioned curves (but curves are considered fat). Most American men would find her very desireable. She says men pick thin women over thicker women no matter other factors. Of course, this cant be standard for all Korean men, but for most. She's ready to marry and have children, and her mom sure puts the pressure on her as well. In Korea, your days are numbered. At 30, you're past your prime. Good luck getting a ring on your finger because most everyone is already paired off by 30! Her mom is even wiling to settle with the idea of Juhee marrying an American! (She told me this as if it's such a last resort, but in Korea, I do think there is a strong sense of pride in having a homogenous race). Juhee's always been intrested in American men and thinks she may marry one some day so let the American man-hunt begin :) I'm more than thrilled to be her wingman!

Daria and her friend also met us later. They all work at Samsung together. I'm glad to have Korean friends outside of work that I feel comfortable with.

We all went to Boom bar and my coworkers met up wth us there later. There is a new bartender, Beagle. They all have silly nicknames like that. We also call him nunchucks and rambo because he does this bar show where he takes his shirt off and does weird nunchuck entertainment. Beagle and I are the same age so recently Juhee has been trying to insinuate a little something between us. I'm a huge flirt face as it is, so of course I don't mind. But I'm also a huge babo (Korean for idiot) and get shy sometimes. He makes these balloon figures. He made me a flower last night and not knowing what to do, I shoved an orange into his hand like it was a freaking barter. A balloon for an orange. Done. Shake on it. I guess it's harder to flirt when language barrier comes into play. Ah the woes of an American girl in Korea :)

No comments:

Post a Comment