Monday, April 4, 2011

I have so much to say, but isn't that always the case.... big gift of gab over here.

Two weekends ago, I went to visit Hannah Howard (formally Hannah Dorrell) and her husband Stephen Howard. I am so happy for them both. They recently got married in Korea. Jenny and I took a four hour bus ride and arrived in Changwon by noon. We walked around the town on a very beautiful spring day. Her city is very walkable and green. There is a big lake and lots of open green spaces. She also took us to a little thrifty area of used clothing... something I miss about back home so much... thrift shopping with Susie and Audrey! That night, we went to Changwon's showing of Vagina Monolouges as a fundraiser for women in Korea. It was an excellent performance. We had a wonderful dinner and met her friends afterwards. The next day, she took us to her favorite coffee shop and taught Jenny and I how to sew little hair accessories. I have now taken up sewing in my spare time...I love making these hair crafts!

After Changwon, the rest of the week was busy and just flew right by. Every night after work, I was off doing something, preventing me from keeping up with my blog, or anything for that matter. Monday night, we went out for a coworker's birthday. Tuesday is a blur.. not sure. On Wednesday I met with these two girls, Soo and MJ that had found me on a website for local Cheonaners. They wanted to have an English conversation partner/ friend, though their English is already fantastic. Soo even speaks Spanish! We were seriously talking in Spanish, Korean and English back and forth the whole night. It was un poquito urriupta (which means "difficult" in Korean). Anyways, we hit it off so great! I feel so lucky that they found me out in cyberspace and it transitioned so easily into the real world like that. On Thursday, all the coworkers went out to celebrate Jessica and John (our supervisor) on their last days at SLP. Whenever all the coworkers are together, it's a good time.

And then this weekend begun. Friday after work, I literally threw my books onto my desk at the 6:20 bell, ran to the taxi at 6:25 and arrived at the KTX train by 6:35 to catch the 6:45 train with my friend Sunbin to see MGMT in Seoul! We met his friends there. They are all so funny!! It ended up being me and four Korean dude friends at MGMT. It was such a fun experience just being with them rather than the actual concert experience. The band was great, don't get me wrong. MGMT pleased the crowd with a few Korean expressions and played well. Afterwards, we went to Joon's house for a bit and then he drove us back to Cheonan.

The next day, Sunbin, Joon, Jenny Josh and I went to see a Cheonan soccer game. They were'nt very good, but I need a replacement sport for volleyball so it'll do. It was fun anyways. I had a great time with good company. We got free bags of  delicious oranges from the sponsors. Afterwards, Sunbin took us to a shellfish restaurant that we hadn't tried before. It was delicious and nice to try something new!

And finally comes Sunday, which was another day packed to the brim. I woke up and cleaned the apartment and made tuna for our rooftop party at 4. It was such a nice warm day, which was lucky. There was a great turnout of people and everyone vibed really well together. Though I love getting big groups of people together, it makes me extremely anxious when different groups aren't hitting it off. In this case, it was honestly just perfect. I wouldn't have had it any other way. When the sun set, it did get a little chilly, but we simply moved everyone down to my tiny apartment and kept the party going into the night.

And then it was Monday night and here I am, finally taking a breather, slumped in my big chair, recounting the last weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment