Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's 3:30 am (Korea time). My sleep pattern a little off... not even from jet lag but from keeping strange hours (a habbit I have no matter what part of the world I'm in). I was sleeping, but then I just sort of was wide awake.

I'm set up in a motel right now. It's called Good Morning Motel. Isn't that sweet? Truth be told, it's not so sweet. In Korea, young adults live with their families for a while longer than say... young adults in the USA. So, from what I've gathered (it may not be a 100% acurate account) these motels are used as sex rooms for the young folk. It comes equipped with a box of condoms and a vibrating bed mode as well as green tea and powerade if you get thirsty and dehydrated from... sleeping. My favorite part is the refrigerated face mask-very rejuvinating, refreshing. However, they aren't dingy little sex motels you might find in the US. Mine is very modern and clean, spotless. This is great, but I'm ready to get settled into my little apartment.

Koreans are very friendly. I can't always understand everything they say and vise versa but you know what they say....a smile is worth a thousand words right? so I just smile a lot like I usually do.I met a guy on the bus to my city, Cheonan. He was very nice and gave me his contact information and invited me to meet his wife and have dinner with them sometime. That was my first conversation with a Korean... very hospitable and warm to say the least.

Everything is very bright and colorful here at night. Every city is like a mini times square. But for the people who live here, it's really no big deal. I'm pretty amazed though. During the day it's a bit colorless right now.The weather blows. It's either cloudy or thunderstorming every day. I'm ready for the sun to come out already and I've only been dealing with this dismal weather for 2 days. It's monsoon season or something they say... I don't know I just want a sunny day. I hope it's not like this much longer.

I start teaching August 30th Korea time but I've been in the classrooms training. Very cute kids with crazy behavior. I'm going to have to refrain from smiling and laughing as much so they don't think I'm a pushover. I don't want 7 and 8 year olds controlling me. They are really only 6 and 7. Korean age starts at age 1 at birth. So I'm actually 23 turning 24 (which actually makes me 2 years older than my american age because my birthday falls at the end of the year). It's tricky, but age is everything here.

So far, I'm extremely happy with my choice. Except there is no access to AOL radio OR pandora here. AOL radio... cmon! I thrive off of that. I've now moved onto Grooveshark and I'm pretty sure this is going to be a nice replacement. Just a minor setback.

No comments:

Post a Comment