Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Here in Cheonan, we just finished celebrating Halloween. Well, for starters, Halloween doesn't exist in Korea, making it even weirder. At our school, the kinder kids went "trick-or-treating" in broad daylight at 10am just around the block of our school. All the mommys passed out candies to their kids and classmates. Then they went through the school haunted house begrudgingly... my boss forced everyone in... even the 3 year olds... no quitters/losers at Cheonan SLP school! God forbid! It was a bit freaky to be honest. I know I was spooked by having my leg grabbed in the pitch black haunted house. I think they could have catered a little better to the teeny tiny ones. Overall, Halloween day with my students was a blast. I even got to lay in the coffin and scare kiddies. It did make me nostalgic for Halloween back home.

After school. I took Julie, Jenny and Josh to the burger place, Soho, that I loved so much for its warm, cozy atmosphere. It was just as "magical" (in Jenny's words) the second time around. Again, it was a quiet and cozy little safe zone after work. The owner is Korean, but speaks English, French and learning Spanish, which explains why his restarant/cafe is so European-inspired. He pulled out his guitar after we finished eating our delicious burgers and serenaded us while we sipped on coffee. He sang beautifully and clearly in English and French. I was impressed.

There was one foreigner party at Kooma bar over the Halloween weekend. It was for foreigners due to the fact that Koreans don't celebrate it. I was Superwoman. I got hit on by Spiderman, asking how business was going, fighting crime. Lame. And a red crayon bought me a tequila shot, but he was a total bro and he was dressed like a red Crayola crayon. Eventually we left and went to Boom Bar because it was also Krystin's birthday and it's our favorite bar.

At Boom bar, Jenny told me I remind her of her 22 year old sister (she's 26). It was the best compliment anyone could've given me (espcially as an older sister myself). It makes me feel a little closer to some kind of idea of family. Even though I'm the older sister and I've never been nor will I ever be a younger sister, I am one here :) It made me think about my sisters and the wonderful relationship we have. I miss them a lot and it's nice to feel like that void can be somewhat filled while we're miles apart.

On Sunday, Rex took me to lunch during his break (freaking 4 hr long break) from work. It was a beautiful day and we ate outside. We had kalbi, which is barbecued pork. Sometimes at school I feel like a freaking vampire because I never see the daylight, so having a Sunday outside, even for a bit, was perfect. Then we got coffee up in the mountain/countryside near the big Buddha statue. Coffee is big here... people are always drinking coffee at all times of the day. Most any public place has a coffee despencer machine or atleast hot water. It was this charming little place (all the coffee shops are) he's been frequenting since he was a child so he knows the owner. It's so nice having a Korean to show me around and take me to new and hidden places that I wouldn't know on my own. I'm really enjoying his company. I'm learning a lot from him.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. My name is ingrid. I have just been offered a job at Cheonan SLP. Can I ask you a few questions about it? Please email me at ingrid.murillo25@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete